Simple fairy cakes

I posted about my little fairy cakes on Instagram and someone actually requested the recipe, even though they look like they've been decorated by a 5 year old, haha! 
It's the first time since moving in to our house that I've actually done some baking so I had to raid Tesco's for bun trays, cooling racks, cake cases, the lot! Thankfully I live not too far from a Tesco Extra so was able to get it all whilst doing my weekly shop. However, I did forget proper butter so couldn't make any butter icing and I forgot to get any decorations so had to make do with icing sugar and water the old fashioned way! Obviously, when you make these you can be as adventurous as you want with the decorating, or you can stick with my simple icing sugar drizzle.

Ingredients
I always use the "weigh your eggs method" like my mum does so weigh three eggs and whatever they weigh (e.g. 175g) you'll need that much margarine, sugar and flour. My eggs weighed 175 grams so I'll outline the ingredients according to that...
- 175g of baking margarine (I use Stork)
- 175g of caster sugar
- 175g of Juvela White Mix (I get this on prescription but any other gluten free plain flour should work fine, however from past experience I think Juvela may the secret to cakes being light and fluffy. Unfortunately it is really difficult to get hold of if you're not entitled to it on prescription)
- 1.5tsps of baking powder (if you use self raising flour you shouldn't need the baking powder)
- 3 eggs 
- a drop of vanilla essence 

For the icing
300g of icing sugar 
2-3 tbsp of water

Makes: 18 fairy cakes

Method
1) Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees (electric) or 170 degrees (fan)
2) Prepare your bun trays and line with cake cases
3) Cream together the Stork and caster sugar in a large mixing bowl. You can use a hand held mixer or a fancy kitchen aid, but I just use a wooden spoon and some wrist action.
4) Add the baking powder to your weighed out flour so you can add all of the dry ingredients together. If you're using self raising flour you can skip this step.
5) Crack one of your eggs into your mixing bowl with the sugar and butter, and add in 1/3 of the flour, sifting as you go. Give it a good stir. 
6) Repeat step 5 twice more for the remaining two eggs and the rest of the flour.
7) Add in your vanilla essence and stir again. Try not to over mix as this will get rid of air, and we want our cakes to be light and fluffy!
8) Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are half full
9) Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean. If you don't have a skewer you can always poke the middle of one of the cakes gently with your index finger - if the cake sinks it is not yet ready. They should spring back up if they are cooked.
10) Set aside to cool for 10 mins, then remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
11) For the icing, sift the icing sugar into a medium mixing bowl and stir in enough water to create a smooth mixture. It's best to add the water a little at a time so you don't add too much!
12) Make sure your cakes are completely cool before icing. Using a teaspoon drizzle the icing back and forth over all of the cakes. 

And there you have it! My super simple fairy cakes. Let me know if you try them out and how you get on. If you have any flour related questions you can post a comment or find me on Instagram @glutenfreerambles. In the meantime, ramble on... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smokey Bean Chilli

Crustless Quiche

Creamy mushroom pasta